Wednesday, May 6, 2009

All my lightroom presets have disappeared ...

Here's another LR tip :

If you ever say to yourself "Oh, I can see in the LR preferences that I can save my presets together with my catalog. Nice idea, let me do it". Just be aware that all your existing presets will "disappear" and you won't find them anymore in the LR interface when working on that catalog. Not only your presets but also all those that came with LR when you installed it! Now ... those presets did not really go. Here's what I understand is happening :

- At of the moment you activate the "Save preset with catalog" option under Edit/Preferences/Presets, LR starts looking at your catalog directory for presets - not anymore at the standard LR directory (BTW, you can use the "Show LR presets folder" button on that same dialog box to locate the LR standard directory for presets.
- When LR starts looking at your catalog directory for presets ... it does not find any (unless you created some before) because LR has NOT moved any presets to that directory. So you start working from a white sheet.
- If you want you can copy/paste your presets from one directory to another ... manually.
- Now if you go back to "Edit/Preferences/Presets" and uncheck "Save preset with catalog", LR will look again at its standard directory for presets and all is back as normal.

2 comments:

microman said...

I had an experience last night with my export presets disappearing...DURING an editing session! I had not checked "Save preset with catalog" so the problem seems bizarre. Apparently, all but 2 user preset templates became corrupt somehow. I was finally able to import backed-up copies of my user templates from an external HD.

Anonymous said...

You are a lifesaver! I almost just had a heart attack! This was probably the third time Lightroom has done this to me and I was about to throw my computer across the room! Thank you so much for the "in plain english," straight-forward directions!