Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lightroom trick

This is not really a trick but more of a watch out.

I've recently started using LR to convert my files to DNG format (I was using Adobe DNG converter before). I'm doing that on a batch of photos at a time and those photos usually spread over several folders.

Now, if I would be more disciplined, I would systematically back my photos up just after importing them and convert them to DNGs straight after that. Well, ... it turns out that I'm not that disciplined and that, just like a lot of us, I'm really impatient to start playing around with some pictures as soon as they are out of the meomry card. As a result, some of those pictures end up doing a little walk in Photoshop and, when returning to LR, they are grouped in a stack with the original RAW picture. To ease my reading of the grid view, I always collapse those stacks and leave the best version (aften the PSD file) on top of the collapsed stack.

So, what is the link with DNG conversions ? The issue is that when you select a lot of photos and then launch the DNG conversion, ONLY the TOP photo OF THE STACK get converted, not the one(s) below. Workaround is simple : before launching the conversion, right-click any of your selected photos and choose Stacking/Expand All Stacks in the menu, then select your images, then convert!

No comments: