Sunday, October 24, 2010

Basic video editing : How to do very quickly

I'm shooting short video clips in full HD. I'm also trying to go by the rules that I published here. It means that I'm shooting very short clips (10 secs to 60 secs) and then need to do basic editing with them. What I want to do is pretty simple :

- Cut unwanted part of the clips
- Put clips together into a single sequence
- Rearrange them in the right sequence
- Save everything in a single file with the same definition, frame rate and codec
Pretty simple stuff, no fancy editing. Just put clips together and cut what I don't want.

The issue is that, with most video editing software, when you do those simple things and then save the new file, the software will actually re-encode your video completely although you have done no editing that justifies such re-encoding. It takes a lot of time and degrades (very slightly but …) the quality.

So I have been searching for a software that would allow me to do simple editing and save the result quickly. AVS Video Remaker does just that (and nothing else) . And it does it well.

Open a few file, rearrange them, cut what you want and save the result using the same codec as the original files. All original files need to be in coded using the same codec and the same frame rate (no issue when you try to put together clips captured with the same HDSLR without changing its settings). You can then save the result without re-encoding everything. You can choose the encapsulating format for your new file (.MOC, .AVI, …).

Even better : you can use the free version for saving files up to 5 minutes long. That just suits me well for my daily usage.

Try it and tell me what you think.

1 comment:

pslv seoa10 said...

Apple Clips is a video editing app that lets users create and share short videos complete with special effects, text, and graphics.
One of the more interesting features of Clips is Live Titles, which let you create animated captions by talking as you record.
On Facebook, users play up to 85 percent of videos without sound, making this one of the more valuable video social media tools for boosting engagement rates.